Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stress Plot Formation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

When I go to plot stresses, does Comsol use nodal averaging or are these stresses element-based? Can I choose which to use?

Thank you in advance,
Theodore

4 Replies Last Post 28.11.2011, 11:13 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 27.11.2011, 14:54 GMT-5
Hi

check the doc, you have many sress elements for different cases

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the doc, you have many sress elements for different cases -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 27.11.2011, 15:58 GMT-5
Hi Ivar,

I've been reading through the documentation for a while and cannot find anything. Can you explain what you mean by "many stress elements for different cases"?

Thank you,
Theodore
Hi Ivar, I've been reading through the documentation for a while and cannot find anything. Can you explain what you mean by "many stress elements for different cases"? Thank you, Theodore

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 27.11.2011, 23:07 GMT-5
The default stress plot is nodal averaged or “Smoothed”. You can change that to element based by setting Smoothing=None in the Quality tab of the result plot. COMSOL also has a more accurate stress recovery algorithm, based on the superconvergent patch recovery technique, which you can activate by selecting Recover=”Within domains”, also in the Quality tab.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The default stress plot is nodal averaged or “Smoothed”. You can change that to element based by setting Smoothing=None in the Quality tab of the result plot. COMSOL also has a more accurate stress recovery algorithm, based on the superconvergent patch recovery technique, which you can activate by selecting Recover=”Within domains”, also in the Quality tab. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.11.2011, 11:13 GMT-5
Thank you Nagi. That helped tremendously. I knew it was in there somewhere.

-Theodore
Thank you Nagi. That helped tremendously. I knew it was in there somewhere. -Theodore

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.