Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Smoothing the sides of a cylinder in 3D geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am trying to create a 3D geometry of a U-bend tube with its thickness. I could not create the legs of the U-tube properly. I got very edgy cylinders (actually they are more like rectangular prisms) and I could not find a way to smooth them (Please see attached file).

First, I created the U-bend by revolving two coaxial circles drawn on X-Y workplane. Next, I duplicated the same workplane and extruded it to create one leg of the U-tube (on the left in the figure attached). For the other leg (on the right), I used COMSOL's built-in cylinder feature, however it was pretty much the same as the other one

When I use Convert to solid for these shapes, I get a very distorted shape. Is there a way to construct this geometry properly?

Note: The diameter of the tube is approximately 2.5 cm and the height of the legs are long (>30m). When I try for smaller lengths (<5m), I get more smooth cylinders. Maybe I should try to create many small cylinder parts and combine them. But I'll appreciate it if anyone could tell me an easier way to achieve this.

Thanks a lot.

--
Tolga

3 Replies Last Post 14.01.2012, 04:35 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.01.2012, 11:44 GMT-5
Hi

check if it's not your graphics screen resolution that plays you a trick (options preferences I believe), or if it has something to do with your geoemtry resolution parameter
but 3cm to 30m is "only" a ratio of 1:10'000

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check if it's not your graphics screen resolution that plays you a trick (options preferences I believe), or if it has something to do with your geoemtry resolution parameter but 3cm to 30m is "only" a ratio of 1:10'000 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.01.2012, 12:46 GMT-5
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for your reply.

I couldn't find a relevant option about screen resolution in options/preferences.

Do you know where can I adjust "geometer resolution parameter"?

Regards,
--
Tolga
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your reply. I couldn't find a relevant option about screen resolution in options/preferences. Do you know where can I adjust "geometer resolution parameter"? Regards, -- Tolga

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14.01.2012, 04:35 GMT-5
Hi

youre right, in v4.2 its called options preferenes graphics details and has only a few steps

but with such slender geometry, the meshing settings are also delicate, as this also easily makes prism out of cylinders

in my 4.2a I have no major problems

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi youre right, in v4.2 its called options preferenes graphics details and has only a few steps but with such slender geometry, the meshing settings are also delicate, as this also easily makes prism out of cylinders in my 4.2a I have no major problems -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.