Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

difference between multi physics fluid thermal interaction and heat transfer general heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

i want to knew the difference between using difference between multi physics fluid thermal interaction and heat transfer general heat transfer and which it better to formulate for three dimension flow in pipe? thanks alot

1 Reply Last Post 15.01.2012, 03:33 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.01.2012, 03:33 GMT-5
Hi

From my understanding, laminar or turbulent flow i.e.SPF is best for flow without hea exchange.
Standard HT is for solids where the object is not moveing (or not significantly) .
While NITF is for fluid + Heat exchange were you have conduction AND convection (mass transfer) with at both significant levels.

But be aware that you add significant complexity to your model, so often its worth to try them out separately, just to get the model up running, per physics, and to get some interesting initial conditions, to be closer to the final value for the final full blow model. Sometimes you might be able to separte the different physics, i.e. flow in small tubes, you might have radial conduction, and axial mass transfer, but insignificant cross terms.

This is an excellent exercicie to get the feeling of heat and flow interactions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi From my understanding, laminar or turbulent flow i.e.SPF is best for flow without hea exchange. Standard HT is for solids where the object is not moveing (or not significantly) . While NITF is for fluid + Heat exchange were you have conduction AND convection (mass transfer) with at both significant levels. But be aware that you add significant complexity to your model, so often its worth to try them out separately, just to get the model up running, per physics, and to get some interesting initial conditions, to be closer to the final value for the final full blow model. Sometimes you might be able to separte the different physics, i.e. flow in small tubes, you might have radial conduction, and axial mass transfer, but insignificant cross terms. This is an excellent exercicie to get the feeling of heat and flow interactions -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.