Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Local Cylindrical Coordinates in a Helix

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to develop a local cylindrical coordinate system in a helix geometry where the longitudinal z direction is along the path of the helix, the radial direction r extends radially outward from the center of the helix's minor radius and phi is orthogonal to both. I used the Curvilinear Coordinates Adaptive Method on a helix to obtain a local cartesian coordinate system and used those results in the built-in Cylindrical System defined in the definitions. The cylindrical system appears have problems with the the helix basis vector inputs for the longitudinal and phi directions. I previously implemented the same idea of using the Adaptive Method results in the Cylindrical System on a cylindrical geometry with good results, however, there seems to be a problem with curved basis vectors. Would anyone know how to implement a local cylindrical system, preferably using the Cylindrical System. I am using COMSOL 5.4.

0 Replies Last Post 27.05.2020, 14:42 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Robert Hunt

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.