Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to import a 3d model to comsol from solidworks?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am a ROOKIE for comsol. And I want to import a 3D geometry by SW to comsol. After I choose the .x_t format file and import , it is said "This action requires the CAD Import Module.". Could someone tell me why it is an error and how to import the geometry to comsol correctly? Thanks!!

1 Reply Last Post 13.02.2012, 01:23 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.02.2012, 01:23 GMT-5
Hi

There are many CAD formats, native Solidworks kan be read in via LiveLink, Parasolid (x_t) via livelink and(/or?) CAD import module. Check the COMSOL file matrix onthe main web site, there you can find the format that can be read depending on your modules available. with SolidWorks you have many options to save in different formats. By the way in 2D you are limited to DXF format.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi There are many CAD formats, native Solidworks kan be read in via LiveLink, Parasolid (x_t) via livelink and(/or?) CAD import module. Check the COMSOL file matrix onthe main web site, there you can find the format that can be read depending on your modules available. with SolidWorks you have many options to save in different formats. By the way in 2D you are limited to DXF format. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.