Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Possibility to implement of subroutine to COMSOL.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I work on a reasearsh project on GaN based transistors, I need to do a simulation of the electric, thermal, mechanical, and piezoelectric properties on COMSOL, however, the electrical module is Missing. Is it possible to write my own program and implement it in COMSOL to solve it in a coupled manner with other modules. If yes, what language should I use, and it would be helpful to provide documents on the subject.

Thank you for you help. IZ.

1 Reply Last Post 15.01.2021, 14:54 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 15.01.2021, 14:54 GMT-5

Hello Ikram,

It is possible in COMSOL to add your own equations through the GUI. This is referred to as "Equation-based modeling" in the documentation. Such equations supplied by you can be coupled, in a model, with pre-implemented ones.

Whether it makes sense for you to implement yourself an equation that is available pre-implemented in a module that your license does not carry, or whether you'd be better off adding that module to your license, depends on such factors as how well you know the equations to you need to solve (including their boundary conditions), which equations those are (Some are much trickier than others to implement), what numerical tricks may be needed to employ to solve those equations in a stable manner, etc.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Ikram, It is possible in COMSOL to add your own equations through the GUI. This is referred to as "Equation-based modeling" in the documentation. Such equations supplied by you can be coupled, in a model, with pre-implemented ones. Whether it makes sense for you to implement yourself an equation that is available pre-implemented in a module that your license does not carry, or whether you'd be better off adding that module to your license, depends on such factors as how well you know the equations to you need to solve (including their boundary conditions), which equations those are (Some are much trickier than others to implement), what numerical tricks may be needed to employ to solve those equations in a stable manner, etc. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.