Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plot of NormE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello. I am new at comsol. I am trying a very simple simulation. I want to see the propagation of the plane wave(TE polarized) in air medium at various incident angles. So when I model the problem, I am facing a problem while plotting the normE. The component of the electric field gives the expected result( wave like paatern) while normE looks a bit strange. Also the pattern of normE changes with change in inident angle. So can you help me understanding this behaviour. Why the normE is not appeared as a wave in the figures while the electric field appered as a wave. Here I am attaching the line plots for both norE and one of field componet and also .mph file for my model. Thank you. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zm4C5tJiCr3sibWxmXUAK72fAn0q4OVz/view?usp=sharing https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DktR-QkK4O-V6STux7CqcYSVP99U-Xpn/view?usp=sharing

1 Reply Last Post 17.01.2021, 01:17 MEZ
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 17.01.2021, 01:17 MEZ

Although I haven't looked at your files, I can tell you that the norm of E for a wave generally doesn't look like a wave unless you have a standing wave present. For a simple propagating wave in any particular direction, the norm of E changes only more gradually from place to place. If you recall (or simply look up) the definition of the the norm of E, you should immediately see why this is the case. (Hint: Consider the wave in exponential form, with an amplitude term times an exp (j k r) term. Notice how taking the norm eliminates the exp (j k r) term? Well, there you go!)

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Although I haven't looked at your files, I can tell you that the norm of E for a wave generally doesn't look like a wave *unless* you have a standing wave present. For a simple propagating wave in any particular direction, the norm of E changes only more gradually from place to place. If you recall (or simply look up) the *definition* of the the norm of E, you should immediately see why this is the case. (Hint: Consider the wave in exponential form, with an amplitude term times an exp (j k r) term. Notice how taking the norm eliminates the exp (j k r) term? Well, there you go!)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.