Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can I model an electrochemical reaction in Comsol (4.2a?)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model the behavior of an electrochemical half-cell in Comsol. When an electrochemical reaction takes place, a voltage potential is created from this reaction. This voltage potential has already been characterized experimentally and I would like to verify this voltage potential with Comsol.

The half-cell is created by taking a silver (Ag) wire and growing silver-chloride (AgCl) on top of it. The AgCl should react with a solution (usually potassium chloride, KCl) containing electrons to produce a solid silver and chlorine ions. This process should create a voltage potential of +222mV (when compared to the standard hydrogen electrode (SHE); reference electrode). The chemical reaction is: AgCl + e- <=> Ag + Cl(-)

At first glance, I assumed I would use the Electrochemistry module to accomplish this, but it appears this module is made for modelling current distributions in batteries. Can anyone tell me if this is even possible in COMSOL, and if so, point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance.

1 Reply Last Post 17.04.2012, 16:18 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.04.2012, 16:18 GMT-4
Edited for clarification
Edited for clarification

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.