Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Torsion simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm facing a problem in simulating a simple free-clampled beam for torsion .
How to simulate torsion moment at the free face of the beam ?

i have searched about this topic in the forum , but all proposed solutions were in 3.5 & i'm currently using comsol4.2

Thanks in advance

1 Reply Last Post 17.04.2012, 14:26 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.04.2012, 14:26 GMT-4
Hi

the same way applies to v4, OK the names change a little ;)

In v4 you also have the new "rigid connector" but it makes the boundary really "rigid" hence might give you some hot spots along the boundary.

I mostly prefer to apply a distributed force density in a cylindrical coordinate frame sys2 such that a global variable
Mf = integral_over_boundary(F(sys2.r)*sys2.r)

and then constrain this global variable in a weak way to Mf - MyMoment = 0

I believe I have a model from the ol 3.5 days in the model exchange, you could alwys load it into v4 and take a look, take care with the naming convention that has changed a bit with the v4 (r)evolution ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the same way applies to v4, OK the names change a little ;) In v4 you also have the new "rigid connector" but it makes the boundary really "rigid" hence might give you some hot spots along the boundary. I mostly prefer to apply a distributed force density in a cylindrical coordinate frame sys2 such that a global variable Mf = integral_over_boundary(F(sys2.r)*sys2.r) and then constrain this global variable in a weak way to Mf - MyMoment = 0 I believe I have a model from the ol 3.5 days in the model exchange, you could alwys load it into v4 and take a look, take care with the naming convention that has changed a bit with the v4 (r)evolution ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.