Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

regarding initial velocity in particle tracing module

Ramamoorthy Venkataramanan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

a. May I know the purpose of initial velocity of the particle in particle tracing module.

b. I am using with AC/DC module.

c. Two parallel plates - Bottom plate is 0 V and Top plate is 1 V. Charge particles is placed in bottom plate. Because of the electrostatics attraction, particles should move to the upper plate i.e., force is exerted on the particle tends to move up.

d. Here for the above problem, why we are suppose to give a initial velocity of the particle in COMSOL

e. I tried with very high value/zero/ and actual velocity. If the value is zero, particles not moving and simply at rest. If we give the actual value calculated by kinetic energy equation (kinetic energy=1/2*m*v2), then the software simply takes the actual velocity and it is doing for all time steps, this is not I expected. If we give a very high value, the particles fall on the very next time steps. What we have in mind is, whatever the initial velocity giving to the software, may be taking at time t=0 seconds.

I need some more clarifications. If anybody can help us, it is great.

--

Thanks,
Ramamoorthy V

0 Replies Last Post 18.04.2012, 04:07 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ramamoorthy Venkataramanan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.