Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Update needed for Import module from Solidworks to Comsol and IGES/STEP Import Issue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Yesterday I updated Solidworks in order to be able to view a CAD model I received from a client which I was unable to open. This update worked and now the model opens perfectly, but today when I tried importing a different model to Comsol, I got the following popup window:

"readsolidworks.exe - Application Error
The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000005) occurred in the application at location 0x0056e200.
Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program"

Clicking ok or cancel closes the window and no imported geometry appears in Comsol. As a quick work around I saved my assembly as a Step and Iges and these imported correct geometry, but in both cases certain parts were moved from their locations in the solidworks assembly (All assembled parts are fully constrained in Solidworks, but it looks like Comsol has aligned the origin of each part rather than using their relative positions in the assembly), so this method is also not working correctly. The updated version of Solidworks which is causing the trouble is Solidworks Professional 2012 x64 SP3.0 edition running on 64 bit Windows XP professional.

Does anyone know if there is an update to the Comsol import module to deal with the update to Solidworks or whether the iges/step import problem can be fixed?

2 Replies Last Post 15.06.2012, 07:10 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14.06.2012, 14:49 GMT-4
Hi

I usually load either the .sldprt (but COMSOL is not always compatible with latest latest Solidworks version, the versioning competition makes life impossible for us the end users, but that is how it is today ;), or what always works for me is the Parasolid ".x_t".

IGES and sometimes STEP have this positining isue, it depends on how the relocalisation matrices passes, and on the versions selected of the different formats

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I usually load either the .sldprt (but COMSOL is not always compatible with latest latest Solidworks version, the versioning competition makes life impossible for us the end users, but that is how it is today ;), or what always works for me is the Parasolid ".x_t". IGES and sometimes STEP have this positining isue, it depends on how the relocalisation matrices passes, and on the versions selected of the different formats -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.06.2012, 07:10 GMT-4
Thanks so much for the quick reply Ivar. Importing works perfectly using the .x_t file type.
Thanks so much for the quick reply Ivar. Importing works perfectly using the .x_t file type.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.