Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating a vascular system with multiple branches

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm using Comsol 4.0a and trying to design a vessel with multiple branches and have designed the geometry well. With one branch, Comsol creates the domains as intended (flow continuous inside both main and branch vessels, while walls are also continuous with each other). But when trying to add other branches, the domains begin to overlap, having some of the walls considered as fluid and vice versa. I'm really not sure how to deal with it, I've rechecked the geometry over and over again, and it looks sound. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post 15.06.2012, 00:57 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.06.2012, 00:57 GMT-4
Hi

overlapping domains are not necessarily bad, except when the overlaps are small and they generate a lot of small mesh elements of no importance to the model, but wich ues RAM and solver time for nothing.

Then you must start to use the boolean operations available to combine/ union with or without internal boundaries, with or without keeping the original elements.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi overlapping domains are not necessarily bad, except when the overlaps are small and they generate a lot of small mesh elements of no importance to the model, but wich ues RAM and solver time for nothing. Then you must start to use the boolean operations available to combine/ union with or without internal boundaries, with or without keeping the original elements. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.