Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A simple question about inlet boundary of flow simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to simulate a simple situation where inlet flow is constant flow rate, say 10 cm^3/s. But when I type this number in the inlet boundary, there always an error says "failed to find solution". I have changed the initial value or used step function to make the change smooth, but it didn't seem to help.

I guess it is somehow because the inlet flow condition may be violate with "no-slip" wall.. Do someone know how I can deal with this situation? Using s*(1-s) that kind of parabola function ( I am not very familiar with it) or anything else?

Thanks for helping the fledgling.

Best regards,

Mao

1 Reply Last Post 02.07.2012, 16:48 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.07.2012, 16:48 GMT-4
Hi

in CFD you can ask for an extra laminar inflow region (and I believe now also outflow region, havent tried this yet), but be aware that if you define apressure at inlet, its at the additional length inlet it stands for, not at your true on-scree model inlet.

Then if you have one sinle inlet boundary, you can write a V=V0*4*s*(1-s) to get a parabolioc max flow (or 6 instead of 4 for a mean flow rate) with v=0 at the boundaries(s=0,1). But this works only for 2D, in 3D you must write ut the equations a bit more

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in CFD you can ask for an extra laminar inflow region (and I believe now also outflow region, havent tried this yet), but be aware that if you define apressure at inlet, its at the additional length inlet it stands for, not at your true on-scree model inlet. Then if you have one sinle inlet boundary, you can write a V=V0*4*s*(1-s) to get a parabolioc max flow (or 6 instead of 4 for a mean flow rate) with v=0 at the boundaries(s=0,1). But this works only for 2D, in 3D you must write ut the equations a bit more -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.