Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simple thermoelectric model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to build a simple TE model in 2D with stationary solver. This is how it goes

1. I have two copper plates (50mm wide and 10mm high) and a TE block made of a thermally insulating material (30x5mm)
2. On the top of the upper plate there's a boundary heat source with total give power Ph = 40 W.
3. Top boundry of TE block has a constant temperature of 300 K, while every block has initially 293 K.
4. Bottom boundry of TE block is a boundary heat source with 2x Ph = 80 W (it's a common thing, that bottom radiator needs to take out twice the power dissipated in the upper copper plate)
5. Later on I'd like to attach an PA6 radiator to the lower plate

Ok, now I KNOW, that thermally insulating material the TE cooler is made of DOESN'T conduct any heat, so all of the heat dissipated will be gathered in the upper copper plate causing ridiculous temperature gradient (deltaT = 200 K). Thing is, that I wanted to somehow transfer that heat to the lower plate bypassing the temperature gradient in TE block but having the temperature difference between two of its boundries. I've triend with highly conductive layers simulating thermal grease, but it was pointless.

I would appreciate any help and ideas, because it is very important for me.

Thanks in advance
Matt

0 Replies Last Post 07.08.2012, 06:29 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Matt Kaskow

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.