Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What does this notation mean?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol users
In the document

www.pksez1.com/Modeling_PIN_Photodiodes.pdf

which describes the simulation of a PIN diode, the author writes in Table 2 for the doping concentration N the expression:

N = NDn + NDnmax*exp( -((y+y1)/ch)^2 ) - NApmax*exp( -( y/ch)^2 )*( (abs(x) < ac/2) + (abs(x) >= ac/2)*exp( -((abs(x)-ac/2)/ch)^2) )

I would like to ask how to read the "conditional part" containing the comparison operations '<' and '>='. These, logically, evaluate to 'true' or 'false', in my world.
What kind of effect do they have here?

Thanks for any hints and advice.

Martin

2 Replies Last Post 07.08.2012, 11:15 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.08.2012, 10:15 GMT-4
Logical expression that are "true" evaluate to 1, those that are "false" to zero.
Logical expression that are "true" evaluate to 1, those that are "false" to zero.

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.08.2012, 11:15 GMT-4
I see. Interesting, so i understand it the operators '+' are overloaded in such a context.
I see. Interesting, so i understand it the operators '+' are overloaded in such a context.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.