Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh Curved Structure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I want to mesh a simple curved structure for CFD but COMSOL gives the internal error in boundary respecting. After reading a few posts, I still cannot succeed in meshing the curved tube. I have tried manully mesh the geometry and follow the blood vessel example, but none of them worked. Could someone kindly give a detailed guide please, i.e. how to add internal boundaries?

Thank you very much!

3 Replies Last Post 10.08.2012, 02:54 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.08.2012, 07:36 GMT-4
I also couldn't figure out how to mesh the geometry you created. It's rather simple, definitely not the kind of geometry that should cause meshing problems. Something weird is happening there, as if the mesher sees a finer structure that isn't even there.

However, isn't the object you have there basically a section of a torus? Anyway, I recreated what I think is an equivalent geometry (the dimensions still need some fine-tuning), using only 3-d objects, and it meshed without a hitch. Not sure if this solves your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.
I also couldn't figure out how to mesh the geometry you created. It's rather simple, definitely not the kind of geometry that should cause meshing problems. Something weird is happening there, as if the mesher sees a finer structure that isn't even there. However, isn't the object you have there basically a section of a torus? Anyway, I recreated what I think is an equivalent geometry (the dimensions still need some fine-tuning), using only 3-d objects, and it meshed without a hitch. Not sure if this solves your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.08.2012, 09:27 GMT-4
Hi John,

Thank you so much! I have tried your suggestion and it works for me. It would be nice though if I can change the length of semi-axis of the structure. I really appreciate your help.

Kevin
Hi John, Thank you so much! I have tried your suggestion and it works for me. It would be nice though if I can change the length of semi-axis of the structure. I really appreciate your help. Kevin

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.08.2012, 02:54 GMT-4
Hi
Indeed your meshed geometry show some numerical singularity around Y=20, I would suggest to send the model to "support" as I neither find it "normal" that such a simple geometry fails to mesh, even if made with an ellipsoid section shape

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Indeed your meshed geometry show some numerical singularity around Y=20, I would suggest to send the model to "support" as I neither find it "normal" that such a simple geometry fails to mesh, even if made with an ellipsoid section shape -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.