Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question about "not applicable" boundaries and coupling conductive/convective heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am a new user of COMSOL, so if anyone could give any helpful inputs, I would be very grateful. I am trying to model conductive and convective heat transfer on a device that contains an array of microchannels with rectangular cross-sections. This device pretty much looks like a cinder block, but with many more "holes" or channels through it. I added a heat flux on the top surface/boundaries of the device. I expect heat to conduct through this layer (which is very thin) until it reaches the channels, which I have water flowing through. It is here where I want to model convective cooling, so that the water flow can further enhance the transfer of heat.

I tried to use the Conjugate Heat Transfer study, but so far I have been getting invalid results (such as zero or near-zero flow-rate and incredibly high temperatures). I am currently trying to add "Convective Cooling" to the study . I thought it would be natural to use the walls of the channels as the boundaries for "Convective Cooling," but these boundaries are labeled "not applicable," which I think is because these are already boundaries set in "Wall 1." I am also interested in using "Convective Cooling" because I can define my own heat transfer coefficient.

I suspect that there is a way to somehow couple the two modes of heat transfer so that T_ext, which is a value I need to input for convective cooling, is set to depend on the conductive heat transfer that reaches the channels.

If anyone could provide some input regarding the non-applicable boundaries and/or coupling, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

0 Replies Last Post 09.08.2012, 21:06 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yeon Soo Chung

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.