Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

larger ICP model causing problems - singularity error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey,

I am using your thermal_plasma model as a basis to my model. It is almost the same. The only difference is that in my model the tube is straight (not curved) and longer (0.8 m). These are the dimensions of an ICP system we use in our plasma laboratory.
If I leave dimensions intact (length of 0.8 m) I always get a solver error (singularity). If I shorten the tube to about 0.2 m the solution works fine. Is there any solution to this problem?

Thank you,
Regards

4 Replies Last Post 29.05.2013, 22:04 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Gregor Primc

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.03.2013, 19:59 GMT-5
I have the same problem when I set a large radius. The computing time always stops in 3~7E-6 s. And, if I sat the current in coils 0 A, the solver works fine. However, even current setted as 1 A, the solver will stop too. I hope somebody can give me a little help. My email: lisen_seu@126.com. Thanks very much!
I have the same problem when I set a large radius. The computing time always stops in 3~7E-6 s. And, if I sat the current in coils 0 A, the solver works fine. However, even current setted as 1 A, the solver will stop too. I hope somebody can give me a little help. My email: lisen_seu@126.com. Thanks very much!

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.05.2013, 02:03 GMT-4
HI,

Have you got your problems solved?

In fact, I encountered the same question: when I modified the PECVD model to design my own model, as long as I changed the parameters, the results would not be converged. Always, a singularity will occur, stopping me from delving further. So if somebody knows how to solve such kind of errors, please give me some hints.

My e-mail address is wangwq1990@gmail.com. ^^

Thank you

Wiky
HI, Have you got your problems solved? In fact, I encountered the same question: when I modified the PECVD model to design my own model, as long as I changed the parameters, the results would not be converged. Always, a singularity will occur, stopping me from delving further. So if somebody knows how to solve such kind of errors, please give me some hints. My e-mail address is wangwq1990@gmail.com. ^^ Thank you Wiky

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.05.2013, 00:47 GMT-4
Hey Wenqi Wang,

if you get the solution to the problem, please e-mail it to me as well: primc.grega@gmail.com

Thanks!

Best Regards
Hey Wenqi Wang, if you get the solution to the problem, please e-mail it to me as well: primc.grega@gmail.com Thanks! Best Regards

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.05.2013, 22:04 GMT-4

Hello,

the plasma module looks very fine, but as to see the activity in this community forum, it looks like it has no great success?

i face the same convergence problems.. it is tough..

what are the strategy to improve the model?

i record all time steps..
try to find out some e-temperature spikes, follow the power supply (circuit model) and so on..

but still I have no clue how to improve the whole thing..

what are your values for secondary electron emissions?

let us share our experiences..

lukas
Hello, the plasma module looks very fine, but as to see the activity in this community forum, it looks like it has no great success? i face the same convergence problems.. it is tough.. what are the strategy to improve the model? i record all time steps.. try to find out some e-temperature spikes, follow the power supply (circuit model) and so on.. but still I have no clue how to improve the whole thing.. what are your values for secondary electron emissions? let us share our experiences.. lukas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.