Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

uniform current in a volume

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi I have a problem of circular coil. I have added uniform current to it. I can see this current is only in the center of coil, not spread uniformly in its volume. I want to model uniform cuurent in whole volume. If anyome can tell, what are the relevant settings or what's wrong with my model. I have attached it too.

4 Replies Last Post 02.05.2023, 16:31 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 12 months ago 01.05.2023, 13:13 GMT-4

I ran your model. The current density does not exhibit that behavior, if you look closely. (Try plotting a slice plot of the current density in a plane that bisects the loop.) Also, you might want to use a finer mesh on that coil, since in your model, nearly the entire cross-section of the wire is being represented by a single mesh element.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I ran your model. The current density does not exhibit that behavior, if you look closely. (Try plotting a slice plot of the current density in a plane that bisects the loop.) Also, you might want to use a finer mesh on that coil, since in your model, nearly the entire cross-section of the wire is being represented by a single mesh element.

Posted: 12 months ago 01.05.2023, 17:59 GMT-4

Thanks Robert Now, I got it.

>I ran your model. The current density does not exhibit that behavior, if you look closely. (Try plotting a slice plot of the current density in a plane that bisects the loop.) Also, you might want to use a finer mesh on that coil, since in your model, nearly the entire cross-section of the wire is being represented by a single mesh element. Thanks Robert Now, I got it.

Posted: 12 months ago 02.05.2023, 15:22 GMT-4

Thanks Robert Now, I got it.

Hi Robert I want to know how can I get current density vector that exists in any finite element? I have 2D axisymmetric version of same problem where only phi component of magnetic vector potential exists, r and z are zero. But in 3D model there are all three, though r and z are small. I believe the current density vector can only be near to phi direction, has r component. But z must be zero. I have attached 2D axisymmetirc version of same problem where it is visible that A has only phi component. Can you explain, why in 3D the other two components of A are also present. (I have applied vector transformation to A in 3D and looking for A at inner surface of infinite domain).

>>I ran your model. The current density does not exhibit that behavior, if you look closely. (Try plotting a slice plot of the current density in a plane that bisects the loop.) Also, you might want to use a finer mesh on that coil, since in your model, nearly the entire cross-section of the wire is being represented by a single mesh element. > >Thanks Robert >Now, I got it. Hi Robert I want to know how can I get current density vector that exists in any finite element? I have 2D axisymmetric version of same problem where only phi component of magnetic vector potential exists, r and z are zero. But in 3D model there are all three, though r and z are small. I believe the current density vector can only be near to phi direction, has r component. But z must be zero. I have attached 2D axisymmetirc version of same problem where it is visible that A has only phi component. Can you explain, why in 3D the other two components of A are also present. (I have applied vector transformation to A in 3D and looking for A at inner surface of infinite domain).

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 12 months ago 02.05.2023, 16:31 GMT-4

You may be seeing numerical effects. To find out, see if the values change (for the small but non-zero components of A) if you use a finer mesh.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You may be seeing numerical effects. To find out, see if the values change (for the small but non-zero components of A) if you use a finer mesh.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.