Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Prescribed displacement as function of space in structural mechanics stationary study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a question about spatially varying prescribed displacements. I have a bar geometry of length L, and I would like to prescribe its displacement as a function along the length, e.g. Ydisp = sin(pix/L) I tried 1) Directly typing this function of x and the parameter L into the prescribed displacement expression 2) Creating a globally defined analytical function, an1 = sin(pix/L), and then setting the prescribed displacement expression to an1(x)

However, both attempts give non-sensical solutions. What is the correct method to define a prscribed displacement as a function of space?

Thank you very much,

JT

4 Replies Last Post 21.06.2023, 06:35 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 months ago 18.06.2023, 13:19 GMT-4

The syntax has to be sin(pi*x/L)

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
The syntax has to be sin(pi*x/L)

Posted: 10 months ago 19.06.2023, 02:37 GMT-4

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your reply! Apologies, that was just poor syntax in my post. I did include the asterisk, i.e. sin(pi*x/L). Was it correct to enter this into the prescribed displacement expression, directly? If so, I must be making an error elsewhere...

Thank you,

Jane

Hi Edgar, Thanks for your reply! Apologies, that was just poor syntax in my post. I did include the asterisk, i.e. sin(pi*x/L). Was it correct to enter this into the prescribed displacement expression, directly? If so, I must be making an error elsewhere... Thank you, Jane

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 months ago 19.06.2023, 03:27 GMT-4

That is correct.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
That is correct.

Posted: 10 months ago 21.06.2023, 06:35 GMT-4

Thanks very much, Edgar!

Jane

Thanks very much, Edgar! Jane

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.