Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Conjugate heat transfer pipe flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to simulate a very simple laminar flow inside a pipe problem with a constant temperature at the walls. I have a cylinder made of water(liquid), and where one part is kept at a constant temperature at the wall, and rest of the wall changes from 293 to 393 for the remaining of the length.
My biggest issue is not so much the heat transfer part of the problem, but the velocity profile at various points of the pipe. I know I should get the same velocity profile everywhere and it should be a parabolic profile and since I am using a mean velocity of 0.02 m/s I know that my Vmax will be 0.04. However I only get this velocity profile at the inlet and not in the rest of the pipe. When I keep the walls temperature constant ( at 293 throughout) I get the correct velocity profile, it is only when I inflict the temperature gradient when the velocity profile changes, even though I am keeping my properties constant.
Any help will be appreciated. I am attaching my model

Thank you very much!

5 Replies Last Post 07.11.2012, 14:29 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.11.2012, 03:07 GMT-4
Hi

A few things to observe, first if you have a symmetric system, its better to solve it in 2D-Axi as this runs far quicker, at least to get used to the different physics and their tweaking. One major reason to not do everything in 2D-axis is when you have a gravity body load that is not aligned along the axis of symmetry, then you must end up in 3D

Then what is essential is to have a correct mesh, with boundary layer mesh. The COMSOL default physics mesh is well suited (not the user defined you have currently) but it tend to be dense, which is adapted to the need of CFD, hence not always solvable on a "normal" PC/laptop

Then one should expect changes in the velocity profile as with the heat transfer you change also the proprieties of the fuild hence its homogeinity, it all depends on the relative velocities/diffusivities fluid/temperature, hence the importance of Reynolds, Nusselt, Knudsen ... numbers in calssical theory They remain of use to better tweak your model also for FEM etc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi A few things to observe, first if you have a symmetric system, its better to solve it in 2D-Axi as this runs far quicker, at least to get used to the different physics and their tweaking. One major reason to not do everything in 2D-axis is when you have a gravity body load that is not aligned along the axis of symmetry, then you must end up in 3D Then what is essential is to have a correct mesh, with boundary layer mesh. The COMSOL default physics mesh is well suited (not the user defined you have currently) but it tend to be dense, which is adapted to the need of CFD, hence not always solvable on a "normal" PC/laptop Then one should expect changes in the velocity profile as with the heat transfer you change also the proprieties of the fuild hence its homogeinity, it all depends on the relative velocities/diffusivities fluid/temperature, hence the importance of Reynolds, Nusselt, Knudsen ... numbers in calssical theory They remain of use to better tweak your model also for FEM etc -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.11.2012, 12:44 GMT-5
It seems that the solution you are getting is not a converged solution. I am sure you can adjust some solver settings to reach convergence. I noticed however that the viscosity that you used is 1e6 times that of water. That very high viscosity could be affecting the solver settings. If I change the viscosity to that of water the results look much better (as much as I would expect given the course mesh density as Ivar mentioned).

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
It seems that the solution you are getting is not a converged solution. I am sure you can adjust some solver settings to reach convergence. I noticed however that the viscosity that you used is 1e6 times that of water. That very high viscosity could be affecting the solver settings. If I change the viscosity to that of water the results look much better (as much as I would expect given the course mesh density as Ivar mentioned). Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.11.2012, 21:45 GMT-5
Thank you very much
Thank you very much

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.11.2012, 21:46 GMT-5
thank you very much
thank you very much

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.11.2012, 14:29 GMT-5
You're welcome!
You're welcome!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.