Different CFD results in 3D and 2D Axisymmetric geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am running two simulations related to drag coefficients of a sphere. One simulation runs in 3D with a sphere in a cylinder, the other simulation runs in 2D axisymmetric with a half circle in a rectangle. Both of them have the same geometric relation such as size of sphere, position of sphere and size of cylinder. I apply the same physics (default laminar flow in COMSOL) and the same boundary conditions to both of the simulations. Vinlet=0.4m/s, p=0 at outlet, and non-slip wall for sphere.

For drag coefficient Cd=Cf+Cp where Cf is the friction coefficient and Cp is pressure coefficient

Vinlet is applied in Z direction and I want to derive the coefficients in Z direction.

please visit the link below to see the different results

1drv.ms/i/s!AnYEOGuLofRYg88qCRhOTIS01_sWBA?e=bFJccj" 1drv.ms/i/s!AnYEOGuLofRYg88qCRhOTIS01_sWBA?e=bFJccj" Theoretically, The two simulations should have the same result.

But the results are quite confusing.

Cpz(3D)=Cpz(2D axisymmetric) => same

Cfz(3D)≠Cfz(2D axisymmetric) => unequal

Cdz(3D)≠Cdz(2D axisymmetric) => unequal

Is there anyone who can explain this to me? How can I derive the same result from axisymmetric geometry?

I can share my two COMSOL files if you want.

Thanks a lot

0 Replies Last Post 14.11.2023, 04:42 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello BIYE CAO

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.