Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid flow due to temperature differences

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
This is not my strong side so I would appreciate some recommendations.
I want to calculate the cooling oil flow in a cylindrical geometry in which there are a number of heat producing elements. The oil should change its specific weight due to the heat transfer and this should result in a free flow.
I would probably need more than one physical model, i.e. heat transfer and buoyant flow.
In Comsol I found some possibilities, such as single phase flow and multi phase flow.
As I said, this is not my strong side.
Are there any experts who can lead me to the right area?
Thank you
Kamil

1 Reply Last Post 30.11.2012, 14:31 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.11.2012, 14:31 GMT-5
Hi

if you are only in the liquid and solid heat transfer, you have the conjugated heat flow physics, that for me seems the appropriate. You need to give the correct material (fluid and sold) parameters, in particular their temperature dependence too, which means a non linear model, that will, because of all he DoF you will have, be a heavy model solving slowly, but you should get your way like that.

If you have true phase change (liquid boiling and vapour, then OK you need more and you model will really become heavy ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you are only in the liquid and solid heat transfer, you have the conjugated heat flow physics, that for me seems the appropriate. You need to give the correct material (fluid and sold) parameters, in particular their temperature dependence too, which means a non linear model, that will, because of all he DoF you will have, be a heavy model solving slowly, but you should get your way like that. If you have true phase change (liquid boiling and vapour, then OK you need more and you model will really become heavy ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.