Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to create a spiral inductor in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am a new learner of COMSOL. I would like to learn how to create 5 uH spiral inductor. I have researched on website but I could not find the tutorial step by step. I saw only in AC/DC Library with spiral inductor. I would like to simulate with some thing like that model but with 5 uH. Please send me a link, tutorial or any book to understand more and I can create by my self? How to draw a geometry and put in that simulation?
Thanks,

3 Replies Last Post 20.12.2012, 03:52 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.12.2012, 10:48 GMT-5
Hello,

from my knowledge, you cannot define a structure's indcutance. You can define that for discrete elements in electric circuit interface, but not in the physics interfaces. On the contrary you can get the inductance of a structure calculated by COMSOL.

You might want to model the geometry of your inductor as close to the reality as possible and see if COMSOL calculates 5 µH (more or less).

You can use the helix primitive to model a spiral conductor. Or you try the single or multi turn coil domain in 2D axisymmetric mode.

Bye
Eric
Hello, from my knowledge, you cannot define a structure's indcutance. You can define that for discrete elements in electric circuit interface, but not in the physics interfaces. On the contrary you can get the inductance of a structure calculated by COMSOL. You might want to model the geometry of your inductor as close to the reality as possible and see if COMSOL calculates 5 µH (more or less). You can use the helix primitive to model a spiral conductor. Or you try the single or multi turn coil domain in 2D axisymmetric mode. Bye Eric

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.12.2012, 19:05 GMT-5
Hi Eric,

So how can you model the geometry of inductor as close to 5uH as possible and how to use the helix primitive? I am a new learner of COMSOL. So please send me a guide , link or .... as detail as possible.
Thanks
Hi Eric, So how can you model the geometry of inductor as close to 5uH as possible and how to use the helix primitive? I am a new learner of COMSOL. So please send me a guide , link or .... as detail as possible. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.12.2012, 03:52 GMT-5
Hi,

this www.dl5swb.de/html/mini_ringkern-rechner.htm is a little tool that helps to design coils, toroids and solenoids (air core) . The user interface can be switched to English.
The helix node in COMSOL should be pretty self-explanatory, and you can always try and see if the results match your expectation.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, this http://www.dl5swb.de/html/mini_ringkern-rechner.htm is a little tool that helps to design coils, toroids and solenoids (air core) . The user interface can be switched to English. The helix node in COMSOL should be pretty self-explanatory, and you can always try and see if the results match your expectation. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.