Should I use the ODE (domain or global) interfaces or PDE (unsure about which form to use) interfaces for modeling a time and location dependent porosity equation?

Aurora Jahan Nuclear Engineering, KTH

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model the sintering phenomenon with 1D uniaxial compaction. One of the equations I have to solve for my sintering model is the following:

where is the porosity and is the component of the strain rate tensor . The dependent variable of this equation, porosity , will be used as an input for other algebraic functions I will implement under the global definitions.

I am a little confused about whether I should use a PDE or an ODE interface to model this equation. On one hand, I am under the impression that the ODE interfaces do not deal with location dependencies, they can only deal with time dependencies. From that idea, I feel that I should use the one of the PDE interfaces because the strain rate tensor component will change based on the location of the geometry.

But on the other hand, I plan to implement the equation by calling comp1.solid.Ldz from the solid mechanics module directly. So I feel like the mathematics interface will not have to calculate any location-dependent differentials. So an ODE should suffice.

Can someone shed some light on how I can pull this off? Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 06.05.2024, 13:29 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 weeks ago 06.05.2024, 13:29 GMT-4

Hello Aurora,

If I understand your post correctly, you want to solve a distributed ODE defined over a domain, and therefore you will want to use "Domain ODEs and DAEs".

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Aurora, If I understand your post correctly, you want to solve a distributed ODE defined over a domain, and therefore you will want to use "Domain ODEs and DAEs". Best regards, Jeff

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.