Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to define a mixture of two miscible liquids at the inlet?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a question about how to define a mixture of two miscible liquids (for instance water and ethanol) at the inlet.

My 2D geometry is as follows: I have two parallel rectangles (representing a channel through which liquid flows) and the two parallel rectangles are connected by a narrow third rectangle so that they are interconnected and it looks like the capital letter i.

The liquids flowing in the upper and bottem parallel rectangle are immiscible (for instance heptane at the top and water at the bottem) and I want to model the interface where these two liquids meet (in the third rectangle which interconnecteds the upper and bottem channel). To do this I use the "Two-Phase Flow, Phase Field" model from the physics tree.

The problem however is that I do not want to define a pure liquid at one of the two inlets (for instance not just water), but I want to define a mixture of two liquids (ethanol and water for instance) so that a part of the ethanol for example disolves into the other liquid (heptane) and you have some kind of extraction and how it affects the liquid-liquid interface.

Does anyone has some hints on how to do this?

Jonas

4 Replies Last Post 19.04.2015, 14:08 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jonas Hereijgers

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.01.2014, 11:15 GMT-5
I think what you are looking for is "Laminar Two-Phase Flow... > Inlet > Volume fraction of fluid 2". Here you can set what percentage of the inlet fluid is fluid 1, for example 0.3 for 30%.

Hope this helps,
Kevin
I think what you are looking for is "Laminar Two-Phase Flow... > Inlet > Volume fraction of fluid 2". Here you can set what percentage of the inlet fluid is fluid 1, for example 0.3 for 30%. Hope this helps, Kevin

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.03.2014, 13:13 GMT-4
Hi Jonas,

I have the same problem, did you succeeded to define this three types of fluids?

waiting for your answer,
Anna
Hi Jonas, I have the same problem, did you succeeded to define this three types of fluids? waiting for your answer, Anna

Posted: 1 decade ago 18.03.2014, 04:57 GMT-4
Hi Anna,

No I did not find a solution and I gave up on this simulation. Even if it would be possible I am afraid the simulation will take a very long time as a lot of parameters such as viscosity and density are now dependent on the concentration.

If you do find a solution I would be very happy if you would share it with me.

Kind regards and good luck

Jonas
Hi Anna, No I did not find a solution and I gave up on this simulation. Even if it would be possible I am afraid the simulation will take a very long time as a lot of parameters such as viscosity and density are now dependent on the concentration. If you do find a solution I would be very happy if you would share it with me. Kind regards and good luck Jonas

Posted: 9 years ago 19.04.2015, 14:08 GMT-4
hi
I want to couple mixture model with structural. But in mixture model I can't define the loading or displacement induced by structural model. can anyone help me?
regards
hi I want to couple mixture model with structural. But in mixture model I can't define the loading or displacement induced by structural model. can anyone help me? regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.