Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Measurment of mutual impedance of a dipole. Problem with results and derived data.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am using Comsol to model a dipole and a in a middle of permittivity 80 and conductivity 0. The model is a simple one and the study is in the frequency domain. The module used is AC/DC - Electric current. I am trying to determine the mutual impedance of the dipole. The electrodes are represented as terminals.

In the case of the dipole one of the electrodes is fed with a voltage of 1 volt the other electrode if fed with a voltage of -1 volt.

The theoretical formula used to calculate the impedance is :

Z = (V2 - V1)/i

Where "i" is the intensity fed to the electrodes, V1 is the potential at the center of the first electrode created by the second one and V2 is the potential at the center of the second electrode created by the first one

V1 0---------------------------<i>------------------------------0 V2

So in order to calculate the impedance value as a function of frequency I used the following formula in the Derived Values -> Global Evaluation :

(ec.V0_2-ec.V0_1)/rec(ec.Jx)

With V2 : ec.V0_2, V1 : ec.V0_1 and rec(ec.Jx) as i. "rec" is the integration of the surface of the receiving electrode and ec.Jx the current density on the x component.

Is my formulation in Comsol of the formula used to calculate the impedance correct ? It does not give me any errors but I am not sure of my formulation in Comsol.

0 Replies Last Post 09.01.2014, 11:55 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Anthony Lethuillier

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.