Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Elasto-plastic bond and pull-apart exercise

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good day,
I am able to model an elasto-plastic bonding operation where a cylinder of soft metal is forced against a plate covered with a thick layer of the same metal. As expected the cylinder deforms at the interface and the layer deforms down as well. This was accomplished with a parametrically defined vertical displacement and a contact pair. Large deformations and the weak form were enabled as this model closely follows the Spherical Punch demonstration.

The Spherical Punch model and the Hyper Elastic door seal model are similar and involve very large deformations but I'm surprised that an ALE application mode is not required to prevent inversion of mesh elements. Can you offer some insight?

The second half of the problem is to reverse the action once the bond is complete. To do this the deformed state would need to be captured as the starting point and the interface line must become bound between the subdomains. I'm expecting to see a necking of the now stretched bond interface. Is there a way to accomplish this kind of task?

Many thanks for your thoughts. Marty

0 Replies Last Post 25.03.2010, 18:58 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Marty Shipley

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.