Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Imposing zero mean value

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Does anybody know if there is a standard way of imposing that the solution of a PDE has zero mean value on the domain of definition of the equation?
I am thinking of the Laplace equation with pure Neumann boundary conditions.
The solution is well defined up to a constant and I need to impose that the solution has zero mean value (integral of u over the domain of definition of the problem = 0) in order to fix the constant.

1 Reply Last Post 04.05.2010, 21:30 MESZ
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.05.2010, 21:30 MESZ
Hi

If I understand you right you want to tweak a parameter (in a least square sens) or a BC (boundary condition)value ,such that the average of let's say "u" is "0" over a sub-domain (or boundary).

Assume you are in 2D, I would then define two coupling integration subdomain values over the subdomain of interest:

Area = 1
U = u/Area

where Area is the total area of the subdomain, and U is the average value of "u". For 3D adapt accordingly, as well if it's on an edge, replace Area by Length ...

then, I would define the BC value on the desired BC' conditions, let us say the variable name is "BC", this is not yet defined, so then we must add a global equation with:
name: BC , equation: U
which means implicitely search BC such that U=0

I hope this helps on the way
Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi If I understand you right you want to tweak a parameter (in a least square sens) or a BC (boundary condition)value ,such that the average of let's say "u" is "0" over a sub-domain (or boundary). Assume you are in 2D, I would then define two coupling integration subdomain values over the subdomain of interest: Area = 1 U = u/Area where Area is the total area of the subdomain, and U is the average value of "u". For 3D adapt accordingly, as well if it's on an edge, replace Area by Length ... then, I would define the BC value on the desired BC' conditions, let us say the variable name is "BC", this is not yet defined, so then we must add a global equation with: name: BC , equation: U which means implicitely search BC such that U=0 I hope this helps on the way Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.