Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to impose an initial displacement

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I need to impose a initial displacement to a violin string. So I use:
Physics -> Equation system -> Point setting -> init, on the point I need.
But it seems that then the displacement of my point is put to zero for all the rest of the modelling.
Did I do it wrong? What is the best way to do it?
Thanks a lot!

3 Replies Last Post 04.06.2010, 08:09 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.06.2010, 05:31 GMT-4
Hi

I wounder if you (or I ?) are not confusing "initial displacement" and "forced displacement" hereafter, I leave it to you to sort it out:

for me

An initial displacement = initial condition (tab) = position at time = 0, but it will not necesarily stay there as time go on.

A forced displacement = a point/region where we enforce a displacement: u=cte, v=cte w=cte (or just a few of these) and this remains like that however time is passing.
The exeption is if u=f(t) (and or v,w,p...) a function of time and not a constant.

If you are using eigenfrequency analysis you will not see the "time effect" as we are in the modal domain, and the "inital condition) will dissapear, but not necesarily the "forced diplacement"

If your cord is modelled as a line then by defining a point somewhere and you set it fixed u=v=0 (I assum in 2D, or Rx,Ry naming depends on module used) then you really fix it there.

For you I assume that you should try to use once the ALE and have a "moving " fixed point to simulate the change in frequency as the string is made shorter.
But do it in steps, setting up ALE or moving mesh is slightly trick the first times.

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi I wounder if you (or I ?) are not confusing "initial displacement" and "forced displacement" hereafter, I leave it to you to sort it out: for me An initial displacement = initial condition (tab) = position at time = 0, but it will not necesarily stay there as time go on. A forced displacement = a point/region where we enforce a displacement: u=cte, v=cte w=cte (or just a few of these) and this remains like that however time is passing. The exeption is if u=f(t) (and or v,w,p...) a function of time and not a constant. If you are using eigenfrequency analysis you will not see the "time effect" as we are in the modal domain, and the "inital condition) will dissapear, but not necesarily the "forced diplacement" If your cord is modelled as a line then by defining a point somewhere and you set it fixed u=v=0 (I assum in 2D, or Rx,Ry naming depends on module used) then you really fix it there. For you I assume that you should try to use once the ALE and have a "moving " fixed point to simulate the change in frequency as the string is made shorter. But do it in steps, setting up ALE or moving mesh is slightly trick the first times. Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.06.2010, 04:14 GMT-4
Hi,
I just wants to see my cord moving after impose it a initial displacement. I know that an initial displacement is juts at time=0, but is it not what I am observing on my model.
It seems that the cord displacement is impose to zero whatever the initial displacement I choose first.
(For that I use the transient analysis, I'am not concerning by the eigenfrequency anymore, I prefer using a FFT then.)

So after that conclusion I chose to impose a load for a very short step.

What is the best solution?

Thanks a lot!
Hi, I just wants to see my cord moving after impose it a initial displacement. I know that an initial displacement is juts at time=0, but is it not what I am observing on my model. It seems that the cord displacement is impose to zero whatever the initial displacement I choose first. (For that I use the transient analysis, I'am not concerning by the eigenfrequency anymore, I prefer using a FFT then.) So after that conclusion I chose to impose a load for a very short step. What is the best solution? Thanks a lot!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.06.2010, 08:09 GMT-4
Hi

I have some difficulties to follow your explanations, but if you impose a Boundary Condition (BC) its there, and it is not always easy to change with time (but still possible if you check your equations), or you impose a force, or a force(t), but then the position is string reaction force dependent.

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi I have some difficulties to follow your explanations, but if you impose a Boundary Condition (BC) its there, and it is not always easy to change with time (but still possible if you check your equations), or you impose a force, or a force(t), but then the position is string reaction force dependent. Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.