Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating rotation matrix of a line vector

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I have three points with known coordinates forming a triangle. Then two of the vertices move (like a rotation transition). My objective is to calculate the coordinate of the last point.

Can we do this in Comsol, like calculating the rotation matrix of the vectors?
Basis is to calculate the inverse of a matrix. How to give a coordinate matrix in comsol and find its matrix inverse? I guess that important matrix Matlab functions do not work in Comsol anymore.

4 Replies Last Post 08.06.2010, 11:14 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.06.2010, 07:41 GMT-4
Hi

If it is the related generalised displacement rigid body rotation you are after (those not gving any stress nor strain, see i.e. Elasticity Tensor, Dyadic and Engineering Approaches by ChiChou/Pagano, or Theory of Elasticity, by Timoshenko, or ...) they can be expressed as the antisymmetric displacement tensor:

in a v3.5a 2D carthesian case x,y the rotation wz=0.5*(vx-uy) in Comsol notations vx=dv/dx uy=du/dy, u,v displacements along x,y,

in 3D carthesian y,x,z you have all three rigid body rotations that can be expressed (with the "small displacement hypothesis" typical used for stress strain calculations)

wx = 0.5*(vz-wy)
wy = 0.5*(wz-uz)
wz = 0.5*(vx-uy)

This is in 3.5a notation, it changes in V4 because of the reference frame renaming (use upper case X,Y,Z)

But, you have the "rigid body connector" in V4 (still to be fully implemented, currently only partially there in 3D but to come in 2D, that gives you a more generalised value for the rotations, as I understand them, also valid for "large diplscement" rotations)

Hope this is what you were looking fore
Ivar
Hi If it is the related generalised displacement rigid body rotation you are after (those not gving any stress nor strain, see i.e. Elasticity Tensor, Dyadic and Engineering Approaches by ChiChou/Pagano, or Theory of Elasticity, by Timoshenko, or ...) they can be expressed as the antisymmetric displacement tensor: in a v3.5a 2D carthesian case x,y the rotation wz=0.5*(vx-uy) in Comsol notations vx=dv/dx uy=du/dy, u,v displacements along x,y, in 3D carthesian y,x,z you have all three rigid body rotations that can be expressed (with the "small displacement hypothesis" typical used for stress strain calculations) wx = 0.5*(vz-wy) wy = 0.5*(wz-uz) wz = 0.5*(vx-uy) This is in 3.5a notation, it changes in V4 because of the reference frame renaming (use upper case X,Y,Z) But, you have the "rigid body connector" in V4 (still to be fully implemented, currently only partially there in 3D but to come in 2D, that gives you a more generalised value for the rotations, as I understand them, also valid for "large diplscement" rotations) Hope this is what you were looking fore Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.06.2010, 08:11 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

Many thanks for your reply. Actually, my case is a bit simpler.

I have 3 mesh nodes creating 1 triangular mesh element. Now, it rotates - due to boundary moving - and I want to have the coordinate of the last vertex.

In the picture below, I know the coordinates of the triangle A. Now, after rotation I know the coordinates of blue and red points in triangle B, but I don't know the blue point coordinate in B. I want to find out the blue points' displacement in ALE coordinates.
Hi Ivar, Many thanks for your reply. Actually, my case is a bit simpler. I have 3 mesh nodes creating 1 triangular mesh element. Now, it rotates - due to boundary moving - and I want to have the coordinate of the last vertex. In the picture below, I know the coordinates of the triangle A. Now, after rotation I know the coordinates of blue and red points in triangle B, but I don't know the blue point coordinate in B. I want to find out the blue points' displacement in ALE coordinates.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.06.2010, 10:51 GMT-4
Hi

well if you know the start and ending points you have the values to resolve the ux uy uz vx vy vz and wx wy wz no ? as you are in 2D it simplfies too.
Its basically the curl or the determinant you need to get out

Hope this helps
Ivar
Hi well if you know the start and ending points you have the values to resolve the ux uy uz vx vy vz and wx wy wz no ? as you are in 2D it simplfies too. Its basically the curl or the determinant you need to get out Hope this helps Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.06.2010, 11:14 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

I am not an expert in mathematics, so please bear with me.

A better diagram: www.gliffy.com/pubdoc/2138013/L.png

I was thinking that if I can find the transformation matrix of the bottom of the triangle A (blue line, 1-2) to the blue line in B (blue line, 1'-2'), I can apply it to all other sides and find my desired coordinate (3'). The two triangles move and change size as well, making it bit more tricky; the coordinates in the picture are representative.

So far, I am stuck at transformation, translation and rotation matrices.
Hi Ivar, I am not an expert in mathematics, so please bear with me. A better diagram: http://www.gliffy.com/pubdoc/2138013/L.png I was thinking that if I can find the transformation matrix of the bottom of the triangle A (blue line, 1-2) to the blue line in B (blue line, 1'-2'), I can apply it to all other sides and find my desired coordinate (3'). The two triangles move and change size as well, making it bit more tricky; the coordinates in the picture are representative. So far, I am stuck at transformation, translation and rotation matrices.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.