Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Predefined Curves

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

Sorry to disturb, but does anyone know if there is a way of inputting a predefined curve as a boundary in COMSOL.

For example, if I were to want to have a line of y = sin(x) as the geometry for a line, would I have to implement it as a series of points? Or could I simply implement a function?

(As of yet, I am only able to introduce a series of co-ordinates).

Cheers for the help.

Regards,
Kesh

2 Replies Last Post 20.08.2010, 04:38 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.08.2010, 01:46 GMT-4
Hi

from my knowledge, COMSOL's graphical kernel uses only splines so you should then approximate your sinus surface by splines.

but there is also another method, you run first a deformation solution (with the resolution you define for the mesh) to deform your surface, and then you solve your physics. There are a few threads discussing how to deforme a flat surface to any shape known as an analytical expression, also a few presentations in the COSMOL conferences

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from my knowledge, COMSOL's graphical kernel uses only splines so you should then approximate your sinus surface by splines. but there is also another method, you run first a deformation solution (with the resolution you define for the mesh) to deform your surface, and then you solve your physics. There are a few threads discussing how to deforme a flat surface to any shape known as an analytical expression, also a few presentations in the COSMOL conferences -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.08.2010, 04:38 GMT-4
Thank you for that. Very helpful.

Regards,
Keshava
Thank you for that. Very helpful. Regards, Keshava

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.