Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Implement a PDE coupled with a 2D-axisymmetric structural mechanic model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!
I have been working for a long time on calculating the stresses induced by a thermal loading in a power module's assembly. I am only considering uniform temperature variations imposed to my multi-layreed structure, so I do not use the heat transfer module, but only the structural mechanics one.

I considered a 2D-axisymmetric model as a first approximation. My problem is that one of the investigated layer is a solder joint. The solder material used has a viscoplastic behavior that is either described with the Anand's model or with another PDE system that allows to calculate the creep deformations. I have been looking for an example of implementation of a PDE mode coupled with a 2D-axisymmetric geometric but was not succesful. So, I hope that someone on the forum can help me, please :)

Here are my questions related to the coupling of the PDE and COMSOL mechanics' model:
- is it ok to choose a 2D model to define the PDE? (I suppose it was the case since the geometry is basically viewed as 2D but wants confirmation, please);
- do I need to set a specific boundary condition for the boundary located at r=0 to take into account the symmetry? I used to set Dirichlet conditions with all fields at 0 (q=h=r=0);

Thank you very much in advance for any information you may bring me.
Vanessa

0 Replies Last Post 20.08.2010, 08:45 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Vanessa Smet

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.