Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

more CPU , bigger memory size or both of them for faster simulations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol Community,

i am working on a simulation about ion movement caused by electrical field. My geometry is 8cm long and axial symetric.

The clue is, that i have also access to a quite powerfull cluster computing system, where i can choose between parameters like CPU number, Core Number and Memory Size used by the simulation.

Do You have any tricks, suggestions, idea about , how to choose cleverly between those parameters, that i can accelerate the simulation and shorten the calculation/simulation time.

For example, is it clever to use/have huge memory , if my geometry is "just" a 2D axial symetric, instead of a 3D one.
And / Or will the calculation finishing be faster ( and HOW faster it will be), when i will let the simulation run with 4 or more CPU's (with 2 Cores each) instead of 2 CPU's with 2 Core's.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion, idea etc.

Maria

0 Replies Last Post 31.03.2011, 13:22 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Maria Allers

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.