Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to define the incident light mode (TE and TM)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am a very new user of COMSOL. Currently, I am trying to build the 3D model of the normal waveguide with Si core, air up-cladding, and SiO2 bottom-cladding. I want to simulate the transmitted power under different incident light mode (TE and TM). I am using the physic of* electromagnetic waves, freqency domain (emw)* and study of* boundary mode analysis and frequency domain*. In emw, I set port 1 and port 2 for the input and output, respectively. My question is: how can I set the incident light mode in the settings of port? For instance, if I want to set the input light mode as TE, which type of port should I use? I tried to use "defined option", but I don't know how to set my "port mode settings". I know that the E field component in the direction of propagation is 0, but how much are the values for other components? (see figure 1.).

1 Reply Last Post 14.08.2023, 19:16 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Danni Li

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Mahmoud Salman Arish University/ Photonics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 months ago 14.08.2023, 19:16 GMT-4

Hello Danni the optical mode can be defined using port type setting into rectangular type or using user defined by setting the values of Ex=0, Ey=0, Ez=1in TE and Hx=0, Hy=0, Hz=1 in TM mode

-------------------
Mahmoud
Hello Danni the optical mode can be defined using port type setting into rectangular type or using user defined by setting the values of Ex=0, Ey=0, Ez=1in TE and Hx=0, Hy=0, Hz=1 in TM mode

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.